Tuesday, February 18, 2014

New Books and Herbs

I'm so excited.  I went to the PO today and had a couple of boxes.  One box was from Amazon containing Rosemary Gladstar's Herbal Recipes for Vibrant Health, and the other was Edible and Medicinal Plants of the Rockies.
Then, I also had a box from Bulkherbstore.com with my comfrey and plantain to make salves.




I got A LOT of comfrey.  I'm teaching a class in April (the same one where we'll be making Fire Cider).  I've got to make the Comfrey Oil for a month in advance so the salve is nice and potent.


And of course, I couldn't resist the cute mortar and pestle.  The mortar has grooves inside which supposedly help with grinding the herbs.

So back to the books:  I LOVE Rosemary Gladstar.  I have her other book, Medicinal Herbs, on my Nook but I'm glad I got this in paperback.  I think reference books, recipe books and ones with lots of pictures are so much easier to use when non-digital.  There are so many things in this that I can't wait to try.  
The Plants of the Rockies book is of course, full of pictures and great information.  Being new to the West, many of these are new to me.  Many people out here actually hate Aspen trees because they grow like weeds and in groves and have these crazy root systems.  However, I think they're beautiful.  Aspen bark can be made into a tea and treat the following: urinary tract infection, fevers, diarrhea and worms.  The young leaves and catkins can be eaten and are rich in Vitamin C.
Amazing!! I'm looking forward to Spring when I can go foraging for plants.
 

0 comments:

Post a Comment