Saturday, March 8, 2014

Crockpot Oatmeal

I'm not a big fan of oatmeal, except oatmeal cookies... and oats in granola.  For some reason, I like my oats crispy.  I saw a couple of recipes for crock pot oatmeal though and thought I 'd give it a try since I'm trying to eat healthier.  On my junk food run to Target last night, they had one box of Steel Cut Oats left and I grabbed it. You have to use steel cut oats, or the mush will just disintegrate. They look like little brown pellets but of course swell up nicely when cooking and have a great texture.

So here's how to make the oatmeal:

Get your crock pot and in no particular order, put in:

1 C Steel Cut Oats
3 C water
1 C half and half
2 Tbs Butter cut up
1 tsp Salt
1Tbsp Cinnamon
2 Tbsps or more of Brown Sugar
Fruit of your choice:
I put in 3/4 of a large peeled, chopped apple
Dried cranberries would also be good
Nuts, if you like

That's it. Easy Peasy.  Cook on low for 8 hours.  Wake up to yummy smelling and tasting oatmeal.
Don't laugh about the half and half.  It really gives it a richer taste and I feel eating all these oats will counteract any harmful effects of milk and sugar. :)

Let me know what you use in your crock pot oatmeal and we'll give it a try.!


Yeah, I haven't given up coffee either and probably won't.


0 comments:

Post a Comment